Mentoring Program at a Glance
The program facilitates a mentoring relationship between professional women in middle to senior management, with more experienced individuals in the industry (both men and women) who have a passion and genuine interest in mentoring.
Over the course of 5 months, mentees and mentors participate in relevant workshops and networking events, as well as a number of one-to-one mentoring sessions. Participants are matched according to their level of seniority, area of expertise, personality and learning styles.
The skillful pairing process has given the program a unique reputation for achieving consistent successful outcomes for both mentees and mentors. Each year the diversity, level of experience and calibre of the people involved ensures a matching process of the highest quality.
What are the qualifying criteria? What is the time commitment? What are the key benefits? Keep reading for the answers to these questions and more.
What are the qualifying criteria for mentors and mentees?
Mentees may be women employed by a WiBF corporate member or an individual member of WiBF. They must meet at least three of the following requirements:
- Minimum of 10 years’ professional experience
- Currently managing a team
- Aspiring to a senior leadership position in the near future
- A clear agenda to work with an external mentor and her objectives relate to the enhancement of strategic skills, stakeholder engagement and/or development of her leadership profile
- No more than 4 levels below CEO
Ideally, participants will be in a management role and looking at avenues to develop their career either laterally or towards a more senior leadership position.
Mentors may be female or male, but must meet three of the following criteria:
- 20 years’ professional experience
- Hold a senior executive level role in their business, typically no more than 2-3 levels below CEO
- Significant experience at a strategic leadership level
- Prior successful informal or formal mentoring experience
What is the time commitment for the Program?
The commitment that is required from mentors and mentees for the duration of the program includes:
- Attendance at 2 events and 4 workshops
- Mentors will meet their mentees approximately 6 to 8 times during the program
Pairing of mentors and mentees
Each mentee is paired with a mentor from another organisation. The benefits associated with a matching process across the banking and finance industry are numerous. Mentors can provide:
- A fresh, different perspective
- A ‘safer’ space to discuss challenges
- Relevant expertise and understanding of the specific challenges and culture of this industry
KEY FEATURES & BENEFITS:
- Highly experiential, interactive workshops for mentees
- Facilitated mentor sessions
- Highly rigorous matching process
- HBDI® – the worldwide standard for measuring thinking preferences & brain dominance
- Personal support by executive coaches
- Comprehensive support material for mentors and mentees
- A trust-based, open and direct conversation with a leader who challenges thinking supportively
- An experienced outside perspective free from bias or conflicting interests
- Advice on how to progress their careers, position their brands and enhance leadership acumen
- Enhancement of soft skills, leadership competencies and confidence
- Feedback on how to implement positive changes and overcome challenges
- A broader network with peers and industry leaders
- Enhance their inclusive leadership capabilities and awareness, triggered by their mentee’s perspectives in addition to shared discussion forums with industry peers
- Satisfaction in ‘giving back’
- Collaboration and networking with industry peers
- Develop a practical understanding of how to create a more balanced culture in their organisations and the broader sector in order to provide equal opportunities for women and men in leadership.
- Enhanced learning, leading to improved performance for employees
- Knowledge transfer from experienced leaders to less experienced
- Retention of key people
- Progress towards creating a culture of inclusion.